Monday, June 29, 2009

Music Video 2: Lady Gaga, 'Just Dance'


Shot grab: 2.33 - 3.05

I chose this particular section of the video because...:
  • The sped up shots add texture and pace to the video, create a slightly disillusioned effect, and i'd like to use them maybe at the beginning or end of the video to represent maybe a flash-back or a vision.
  • The bodies. I like the close-ups of the bodies, the small snippets add to the intimate party vibe and conform to the typically voyeuristic nature of music video. I'd draw on these shots if i decide to include a crowd/party sequence.
  • Dance/Movement. The Wombats' track definitely needs lots of dancing. The stuff in this video is far too choreographed, but i do like the cut aways to Lady Gaga posing.
  • The camera work incorporates a wide range of angles; low angles when showing intrusive and close up shots, high angles when widening the shot and showing the whole room. I also like the hand-held moving shots which occur throughout the video, making the audience feel a part of the action.
The main inspiration I've drawn from this video is the costume and props used. I think they're a bit too flashy at times for the indie genre, however I like the idea of using lots of random props - red indian hats, big glasses, blow-up whales, disco balls, animal costumes... I think this fits with the celebratory theme of the track, the idea of letting go, forgetting their worries, embracing the irony, and generally being WILD.

No comments:

Post a Comment